North Star Alliance’s mission is to provide quality healthcare to mobile workers, including long- distance truck drivers and sex workers, and the communities they interact withalong the transit corridors in sub-Saharan Africa. Our Blue Box clinics, converted shipping containers, offer a basic package of primary healthcare services, including screening for a range of non- communicable diseases, alongside sexual and reproductive health services.
Over the last 10 years, North Star has been able to systematically expand its presence to over 10 countries and has served more than 1.6 million people with health services across sub‑ Saharan Africa.
North Star is headquartered in Utrecht, Netherlands and has two regional offices in Durban, South Africa and Nairobi, Kenya.
Head Office, Utrecht, the Netherlands,
Regional Office, Nairobi, Kenya
Regional Office, Durban, South Africa
Duties and Accountabilities
As an experienced international hands-on programme manager, the Senior Programme Manager will lead and manage the further development and organisational implementation of designated matrix building blocks to further the transition from a regionally oriented organisation to a lean but potentially complex matrix model organisation. He/she will be responsible to manage, fine-tune and plan-optimise multiple matrix-block implementation-projects or -streams in a programme with pre-set deadlines and deliverables within a resource-constrained environment, including procedures, workflows, skillsets and identification of training needs. He/she will work closely with small multinational project teams consisting of relevant colleagues of North Star and/or field experts and report directly to the Steering Committee. His/her main location will be in The Netherlands, but will also comprise of travel to our regional offices in South Africa and Kenya during the kick-off of the projects and further depending on the project phase or matrix building block to be implemented. The programme needs to be aligned continuously with other interdependent or closely related projects and programmes. Specifically, based on North Star’s overall strategy and programme plan, he/she, under the supervision of the Steering Committee, will programme-manage the following matrix projects/streams:
Matrix building blocks
- Finance, including the basics of Procurement
- Medical Oversight
- M&E&R (Monitoring & Evaluation & Research), including basics of Risk and Quality
- HR, including Training
will align or support with the following matrix building blocks, already in development/implementation:
Matrix building blocks in development/implementation
- Resource mobilisation
- Marketing and Communications
- Tools and Systems (ICT)
and will also contribute to:
- Build organisational change coalitions
- Develop project templates (for internal organisational changes)
- Contribute to awareness and capacity building of management and staff
- Contribute to the development and organisation of meetings, training and workshops for management and staff Write and document programme/project plans, progress and exception reports, PDCA (plan, do, check, act) decision documents and all other relevant documentation in a smart and condensed form.
Education and experience
- Minimum of 5-8 years of experience as a leading international programme manager in multiple programmes or projects including organisational change.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or advanced degree (in organisational development is an asset) and/or certified in Programme Management or related field.
- Hands-on experience with programme and project management and inter-and intra-team coordination.
- Experience with matrix model management is an asset.
- International experience in the development sector (e.g., social entrepreneurship and social innovation) is an asset.
- Ability to translate complex project requirements into a clear realistic work break down, feasible activities and unambiguous deliverables.
- Outstanding, precise and clear communications skills, both written and spoken, as well as diplomacy and tact.
- Good written and spoken English.
- Experience in and understanding of the healthcare sector in sub-Saharan Africa would be an asset.
- Written communication – excellent commercial writing and editing skills across a variety of communications formats.
- Relationship Building – establishes rapport with people easily, developing and maintaining a network of contacts that can provide information, help and access to others.
- Displays tact, creativity – demonstrates good judgment and knows when a situation needs to be escalated or mediated.
- Innovative – identifies novel ideas; spots new approaches; has the ability to conceptualise beyond conventional and mainstream opinions and convictions.
- Organisation – establishes a systematic course of action for oneself or others to ensure accomplishment of a specific objective. Determines priorities and allocates time and resources effectively.
- Client orientation – has the ability to manage a variety of projects maintaining quality and meeting client needs, deadlines and budget requirements.
- Team player – willingly cooperates and works collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties and accomplish group objectives.
- Passion – is enthusiastically committed, shows ability to persevere and be productive under pressure.
- Cross-Cultural Skills – has strong cross-cultural competency and the ability to merge” their different worldviews into a “third” way of thinking beyond the constraints of each individual’s cultural conditioning.
- Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making – Gathers inputs, assesses risk, considers impact and articulates benefits of decisions for internal and external stakeholders over the long-term.
- Colleagues in head office, regional offices (Kenya and South Africa) and Blue Box clinics (in sub-Saharan Africa)
- External contractors (field experts, consultants)
- 24 hours a week
- 12 months contract (preferably as of March 2019) with a probation period of 2 months, or consultancy agreement
- Hourly consultancy rate between 50 – 60 EUR excl. VAT or salary range for full-time (40 hours) between EUR 5,000 and EUR 6,000 gross a month (plus 8% holiday allowance), depending on experience and qualifications
- Right to live and work in the Netherlands
- Willingness to travel locally and internationally (e.g., Africa)
- Recognises our Values; People Matter/Integrity/Quality/Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Passionate about North Star’s mission
- Multiple interviews and an assessment can be part of the application procedure