Join our team
With regional offices in the Netherlands, Kenya, and South Africa, and a network of clinics in many African countries, we are always on the lookout for knowledgeable people with an interest in global health and development.
If you share our values and are interested in joining our team, please keep an eye on our job board below which is regularly updated to reflect our current job opportunities.
Senior Programme Manager
North Star Alliance is a non-profit organisation whose mission is to provide quality healthcare to mobile workers, including long-distance truck drivers and sex workers, and the communities they interact with in sub-Saharan Africa. North Star operates a network of Roadside Wellness Centres (RWCs), also known as Blue Box clinics (converted containers painted blue), which are established to deliver essential health services to populations that are often isolated from and neglected by public health facilities. North Star currently operates 22 RWCs in six countries in East and Southern Africa. Blue Boxes offer a basic package of primary healthcare services, with a strong focus on sexual and reproductive health services, alongside screenin g and treatment for select non-communicable diseases. North Star’s mission is aligned with global public health commitments to advance universal health coverage and advance the UNAIDS 95-95-95 strategy in lower-and-middle-income countries in sub-Saharan Africa.
North Star’s model is informed by business-process innovations, which involves using standardising processes of delivery as a means to drive efficiency in operations. North Star has adopted principles of logistics and supply chain management to deve lop a standardised Blue Box model which involves using shipping containers to deliver healthcare to underserved population groups. North Star uses a “lean” staffing model and strives to deliver products or services through streamlined processes that effectively leverage people’s abilities. Each Blue Box is staffed by one clinician or nurse, HIV lay counsellor, security guard and receptionist. A lean staffing model allows North Star to contain costs, while providing quality care.
Senior Programme Manager
Based in Johannesburg, South Africa
Duties and Accountabilities
The Senior Programme Manager’s responsibilities include:
- Provide critical support to Executive Director and Regional Directors in translating strategy goals into coherent portfolio of action and investment plans.
- Finding and vetting funding opportunities for North Star’s operations.
- Successfully develop new qualitative and innovative fundraising propositions, with input and support from other team members with well-defined result areas, measurable results, budgets and impact that are linked to and aligned with the mission and strategy.
- Provide technical advice on sustainability pathways (e.g., alternative revenue generating mechanisms) including insurance, pension, and social impact investing opportunities.
- Facilitate the processes involved to define and strengthen North Star’s strategic position as an organisation in the global health field.
- Design and manage special projects in support of team operations as defined by senior leadership.
- Effectively engage with policy makers, businesses and corporates in Africa, Europe/global on aspects of global health delivery and facilitate partnerships for mutual benefits.
- Develop a network of external stakeholders and sources of information and analysis across the private sector, government and academia.
- Represent North Star at (inter)national conferences, meetings and other events.
- Support North Star’s engagement on specific policy, research and innovation themes in the health sector.
- Advise on the latest health sector policy developments as well as research findings, which may have implications for North Star’s strategic positioning.
- And perform other position appropriate duties as required in a competent, professional, and courteous manner.
Education and experience
- Academic degree in international business, social sciences, public health, communications or related studies
- MBA or MPH is an asset
- Track record in institutional acquisition/fundraising in development sector
- Have a relevant network for fundraising/business development
- Minimum of 10 years of work experience, preferably in international development
- Minimum of five years of management experience
- Knowledge in public health, especially in the field of HIV care and/or SRHR in lower and middle-income countries
- Previous experience working with national HIV programmes in sub-Saharan Africa is an asset
- Written and verbal communication – extremely clear, understandable, motivating and supportive communication skills to all levels, internally and externally, in fluent English.
- Relationship Building – establishes rapport with people easily, developing and maintaining a network of contacts that can provide information, help and access to others.
- Displays tact, creativity – demonstrates good judgment and is able to build consensus and knows when a situation needs to be escalated or mediated.
- Organisation – establishes a systematic course of action for oneself or others to ensure accomplishment of a specific objective. Determines priorities and allocates time and resources effectively, with meticulous attention to detail.
- Client orientation – has the ability to manage a variety of duties maintaining quality and meeting client and stakeholders needs.
- Team player – willingly cooperates and works collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties and accomplish group objectives.
- Passion – is enthusiastically committed, shows ability to persevere and be productive under pressure and maintain confidentiality.
- Cross-cultural skills – has strong cross-cultural competency and the ability to merge” their different worldviews into a “third” way of thinking beyond the constraints of each individual’s cultural conditioning.
- Business judgment and analytical decision-making – Gathers inputs, assesses risk, considers impact and articulates benefits of decisions for internal and external stakeholders over the long-term.
- Reporting to the Executive Director in the Netherlands
- Colleagues in head office in the Netherlands, regional offices (Kenya and South Africa) and Blue Box clinics (across multiple countries in sub-Saharan Africa)
- External stakeholders; global and regional multilateral and bilateral bodies, ministries of health, corporate and family foundations, corporates, research agencies, transport authorities, NGOs etc)
- One year full-time contract, with possibility of extension
- Authorised to live and work in South Africa
- Willingness to travel locally and internationally (for extend periods to our other offices)
- Recognises our Values; People Matter/Integrity/Quality/Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Passionate about North Star’s mission
- Multiple interviews and an assessment can be part of the application procedure
To apply please forward your CV together with a covering letter to Charmaine Horner – Human Resources Manager firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for all applications is Monday 20 January 2020.
What does North Star Alliance mean to us?
MAKING HEALTH CARE ACCESSIBLE IN PLACES WHERE IT DID NOT EXIST.“North Star presents an opportunity to work with a dedicated and passionate group of people who making a contribution to society and ultimately a difference to people’s lives by making health care accessible in places where it previously did not exist.”
WHERE EVERYBODY IS RESPECTED FOR WHO WE ARE."Working for a good cause (not for shareholders) and with so many different nationalities with such a diverse background in an environment where everybody is respected for who we are.”
PROVIDING THE BEST HEALTHCARE TO A VULNERABLE GROUP OF BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE."To me North Star is an organisation with strong internal bonds, providing the best healthcare to a vulnerable group of beautiful people.”
WE'RE OF THE PEOPLE."North Star means making change from the ground up. We’re committed and flexible, bringing relevant services to people where they need it most, in a caring, professional and safe environment. We’re of the people .”